The causes that a Rotary Club in any given year supports through projects, events and/or fundraising efforts are influenced by a number of factors including:
- the object of Rotary
- Rotary's Five Avenues of Service
- the needs of the community
- the interests, skill set and availability of members and partner organisations
- funding requirements
Purpose of a Rotary Club
Rotary Clubs are to:
- Pursue the Object of Rotary
- Carry out service projects based on the Five Avenues of Service
- Contribute to the advancement of Rotary by strengthening membership
- Support the Rotary Foundation
The Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business, and community life;
- FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Avenues of Service
For years, Rotary’s commitment to Service Above Self has been channeled through the Avenues of Service, which form the foundation of club activity:
- Club Service focuses on strengthening fellowship and ensuring the effective functioning of the club.
- Vocational Service encourages Rotarians to serve others through their vocations and to practice high ethical standards.
- of Rotarians in Business and Professions
- Community Service covers the projects and activities the club undertakes to improve life in its community.
- International Service encompasses actions taken to expand Rotary’s humanitarian reach around the globe and to promote world understanding and peace. Rotarians support International Service by sponsoring a project in another country, seeking international project partners to support projects in their own communities, or by personally volunteering at an international project site
- Youth Service recognizes the positive change implemented by youth and young adults through leadership development activities as RYLA, Rotaract and Interact, service projects, and creating international understanding with Rotary Youth Exchange.
Community Speakers & Community Needs Assessment
To help ensure we are addressing the needs of our local community, our Speaker Program includes representatives from various community minded organisations and/or service providers. Further, in 2017-18, the Rotary Club undertook an initial Community Needs Assessment of the City of Monash. Although not definitive, both of these initiatives will see us (and our Cluster Clubs) transform from providing ad hoc service and fundraising support to becoming more relevant, applicable and meaningful in our Community and assist us in partnering, where appropriate, with the relevant organizations.
Causes supported by the Rotary Club of Monash
Since our beginning and through our activities we have supported a diverse range of causes/areas of need/issues in the community. These include:
|Bowel Cancer||Homelessness||Ovarian Cancer|
|Mental Health||Employment Opportunities for Adults with Disabilities||Educational resources in Developing Countries|
|Use of Ice/Drug Offences||Alzheimer's Disease||Trachoma Disease|
|Domestic Violence||Medical Supplies in Developing Countries||Medical Aid for Children|
|Feminine Hygiene in Developing Countries||Leadership, Personal, Professional Development of Youth||Sustainable Environments|
|Polio Eradication||Lunches for Primary School Children||Provision of groceries for food hampers|
|Indigenous Communities||Commemoration of Past & Current Service Persons||Disaster Relief|
|Training of Medical Staff in Developing Countries||Fun & Play for Children in Hospital||Cultural Awareness|